Most motorcycle riders enjoy the freedom and exhilaration that comes with riding on the open road. You can enjoy the Western New York scenery, relish the solitude and breathe the fresh air. The downside, however, is that motorcycle riding can be very dangerous as shown by the accident-related injury and fatality statistics.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Motorcycle accidents are, predictably, almost always more dangerous than passenger vehicle accidents as there is nothing to protect the motorcyclist from the impact of the collision. Due to this, in a staggering 98% of all motorcycle accidents, the rider is injured and in 45% of all accidents the injury is serious or fatal.
What is especially unsettling is the fact that in two-thirds of motorcycle accidents the vehicle driver is at fault. Many motorcycle safety organizations believe that this number will increase due to increased cell phone use while driving and the sizable blind spots many SUVs and large passenger vehicles have. This statistic is so troublesome because it is generally assumed that motorcyclists themselves are most often at fault for accidents because of the inherent danger of motorcycle riding. This statistic makes it clear that the opposite is, in fact, more often the case and that motorcyclists are most often, not at fault. Because of this common misapprehension, it is essential to have an experienced team of motorcycle accident attorneys representing you.
Motorcycle Accident Lawsuits
One of the most unfortunate aspects of motorcycle accidents is that many motorcyclists face an uphill battle if they need to file a lawsuit against a passenger vehicle driver. There are many reasons for this; some of the most common reasons being:
- Many passenger vehicle drivers will claim that they could not see the motorcycle coming in order to avoid taking responsibility for their negligence.
- Many judges and jury members tend to believe that motorcycle riding is an inherently dangerous pastime and will be naturally biased against the motorcyclist despite the fact that this bias is not supported by the law.
- Must prove that the other driver’s negligence caused the motorcycle accident, which can be difficult if there is no hard evidence or witness accounts..
For all of these reasons, if you are a motorcyclist who has been in an accident caused by another driver’s negligence, it is absolutely imperative to hire a highly experienced motorcycle accident attorney to represent you in court.
With over 20 years of experience, the motorcycle accident attorneys at Feroleto Law understand how to build a solid case for motorcycle accident victims. We adamantly believe that you must be fairly compensated for your medical bills, current and future lost wages, pain and suffering and any permanent injury or disability incurred in an accident due to negligent driving. If you have been injured in an accident that was caused by another driver we will do everything in our power to see that justice is served on your behalf.
Motorcycle Accident Safety Tips
The injuries and trauma that result from motorcycle accidents usually range from serious to life threatening. You need to act fast and do everything you can to get yourself and other injured parties medical help. Whether you are a resident or a tourist in the Buffalo area who has been involved in a motorcycle accident, you should follow the steps outlined below:
- Call 911 for an ambulance – even if you don’t think you’re hurt, it is crucial that you are checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible. Ninety-eight percent of all motorcycle accidents result in serious injury and you may be in shock. If you are unable to use a phone, yell for help.
- Obtain as much information about the other party as possible – if you are not too hurt to do so, get the driver’s license number and vehicle and insurance information for every party involved in the car accident.
- Get the contact information for potential witnesses – if witnesses saw the motorcycle accident take place, write down their contact information and ask them to give a statement to police when they arrive. Witnesses often play crucial roles in motorcycle accident personal injury lawsuits.
- Take photographs of the accident scene – if you have a camera or someone else at the motorcycle accident scene does, take pictures of the accident location and all vehicles involved. Try to capture the vehicle damage and any road signs present or skid marks on the road. Pictures are often presented as evidence in motorcycle accident lawsuits.
- Call an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer – if you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you will need a motorcycle accident lawyer to organize a thorough investigation and represent you in court. You can reach our motorcycle accident lawyers at 716-854-0700. We don’t charge legal fees unless your case is won in court or settled out of court, so call us as soon as you can.
- Focus on you recovery – the motorcycle accident experts at Feroleto Law will manage the investigation and all the legal action you need to take in the days and weeks following your accident. Your only focus should be recovery.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a motorcycle accident in the Niagara or Buffalo, New York area, you should contact Feroleto Law to schedule a free consultation today. Our motorcycle accident lawyers can determine if you have a solid case and make sure you get the restitution you are entitled to.
If you or a loved one in the Buffalo Niagara Region has been injured in a motorcycle accident, please contact us today to schedule a free case evaluation. We only charge legal fees if your case is won or settled out of court, so please don’t hesitate to contact us today.